Author Topic: Importing wood  (Read 1697 times)

Offline barb e

• View Profile
Importing wood
« on: December 28, 2016, 08:58:17 am »
I am considering ordering wood online but am concerned about wood coming from the USA into Canada - any Canadians out there that have ordered online and any issues with extra duties or having it confiscated etc, etc.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Re: Importing wood
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 09:22:21 pm »
Depends on what Canada's import laws and regulations are. And what kind of fees or taxes they impose. Like here in the usa to ship something say to new zealand the fees once it gets there is way more than what the item ws shipped for or paid for, same for importing into the usa.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 06:14:15 am »
There is a long article on importing wood to Canada at http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/plant-pests-invasive-species/directives/forestry/d-02-12/eng/1312383927173/1312384324372

A lot depends on what you are importing but basically it should be bark free bug free and kiln dried.  Should have a certificate stating so.

I have bought wood in USA small quantity and never declared as separate item when coming across the border.  I have not tried to buy via mail order and ship to Canada. 

I bought from the Handsome Woodsman some blue pine but I shipped to a border crossing and picked up and brought back. The guys at the border just gave it a quick look and asked what I was going to do with it.  When I said Intarsia he just said okay.

Offline barb e

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 09:13:43 am »
Thanks for the info

SMF

Teknoromi