Author Topic: Aw, Sugar Plums!!  (Read 2263 times)

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Aw, Sugar Plums!!
« on: December 19, 2016, 06:34:33 pm »
I cut Steve's "Life Without Music Would B flat" out of 1/8" baltic birch and planned to glue it onto a background of dark wood.  Got the pattern and the background cut and put glue on the BB.  Was just about to put the cutting on the background when I realized I put the glue on the FRONT side. 

Wiped off as much glue as I could and then used a wet towel to try to get the rest off.  I know I didn't get it all off.  It is now sitting under weights hoping it will dry flat, and not delaminate.  Then I will try sanding the front smooth but don't know how well that will work.

Any suggestions on how to salvage it?  (Telling me to put the glue on the back side will not be appreciated.   ;D ;D ;D ;D )

Jim
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 06:36:24 pm by jscott2 »
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Re: Aw, Sugar Plums!!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 10:46:21 pm »
How wet was the towel if just damp enough to wipe off the glue it should be ok, don't think it will come apart at the layers unless it was just soaked with water, if still have some glue on it might try using whats call a cabinet scraper to clean the rest of the glue off after its dried. If it does still warp or cup a little use equal clamping force across the whole piece to glue it down, might even use a pin nailer if you have one, it uses very small wire pins it shoots made for tacking wood together for glueing and such, will hardley see the pins they are about the size of a needle.

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 05:27:32 pm »
Jim - whenever I come up to a warped appliqué I will clamp my cutting atop the backer to a third 3/4" thick piece. Don't rush the dry time. Weights can also be used for center pieces in question. Good luck and cheers Brian

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 03:14:41 pm »
Well, it wasn't as bad as I had feared.  Washing the glue off was fairly effective and the wood didn't warp.  The palm sander and fine paper got the last of the glue off then finished it with lemon oil and satin spray.

I got lucky, I was afraid I would have to re-cut it.
Jim

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 02:57:31 am »
Jim - It came out looking great. Thanks for showing us. Cheers Brian

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 09:41:56 am »
Thanks, Brian.  I think I had a bit of luck there.

Jim

SMF

Teknoromi