Author Topic: Greetings from underneath a snow drift  (Read 3049 times)

Offline JMB

• View Profile
Greetings from underneath a snow drift
« on: December 10, 2016, 07:08:39 pm »
Living near Erie, PA (down the road from the infamous Buffalo) we get our share of winter storms and scroll sawing seems to be a good way to take my mind off what is happening.

I am using an old Delta 2-speed that was on Craig's List for $50.  I thought it would be good enough to try the hobby and see how I liked it.  I have watched many YouTube videos (thank you Steve and others) and picked up enough to use the saw and realize how little I know and how difficult it is to do the beautiful work I see on the forum.  But the interest is there and I am getting a little better.  I work on some of the easier free patterns and many Christmas decorations and the collection of gift tags. I am starting to think about my next saw.

Thank you for the opportunity to learn from the other forum members and to expand my interest in sawing.  I believe it will be a long and entertaining activity.

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
Re: Greetings from underneath a snow drift
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 07:47:31 pm »
It is a fun way to kill time and you can complete a project or make some firewood ;) in usually less then 1 day.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 08:02:39 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  All you need is some practice, practice, practice.  We all started at the beginning.  You will have some proud pieces soon enough. 

Offline JMB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 08:52:29 am »
Thanks for the encouragement.  I have been practicing and feel much more comfortable already.  Especially with the easier cuts.  I had the opportunity to make about 75 Christmas ornaments, mostly to be sold by a local charitable organization and that made a big difference.  I've also been trying to learn technique from the comments and suggestions in the forum.

Offline Dannyb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 09:24:52 am »
Welcome to the hobby!  Be warned... It is addictive lol And 3 P's.... Practice, Patience, and Persistance!!!

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 03:44:33 pm »
Welcome! I am Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas.

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 05:39:02 pm »
Welcome JMB, I am Brian from South Dakota. Seems we have a couple things in common. First the Snow and then our starter saws. from the sounds of it you're already into a saw upgrade. I've been in the hobby for 6 years now and have up graded 4 times more than I want my wife to know. This hobby is additive. Keep warm and enjoy.  Cheers. Brian

Offline JMB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 08:35:00 pm »
Hi Brian,

More in common than it appeared.  I have family in SD and visit quite often.  It's the other end of the state, near Rapid City, but I pass through your area on my way. 

We are having our normal supply of unnecessary snow and ice.  Just four short months and it will all be over.

What saws did you go through?  I am looking but would prefer to find a steal on Craig's List.  If I have to buy a new one, I am looking at the Porter Cable for the money, the Delta because it is $100 cheaper than the DeWalt 788 and supposed to be identical.  And of course the 788, just because.

John

SMF

Teknoromi