Author Topic: Last sale of the year  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
Last sale of the year
« on: December 04, 2016, 08:32:10 am »
     Yesterday I went to my last scheduled sale of the year.
Driving in the rain and in the dark both ways. Ugh! It is in a small town an hour and twenty minutes north of me. Last year I had a great sale there. Not so much this year. Last year, at that venue, I sold 35 of my boxes but only 11 this year.

Rain=Not many shoppers.

Even though this years event was disappointing, my years total sales were only $70 less than last years total. Less than one percent drop. I did 20 sales events this year whereas I usually did 25 in past years. I do have one small order to fill this year yet, but no more scheduled sales. I may skip this venue next year.

Not complaining, just reporting in.<grin> 
Jim Finn
Jim's Woodworks
Lubbock Texas
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: Last sale of the year
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 11:37:26 am »
Sounds like you had a good year. Wow that many shows?? I would be exhausted.  My son and I only do three and it is a tough haul. But this years was our record year and had a great time besides. ;D
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 04:03:45 pm »
Sounds like you had a good year Jim! My sales this year were up a bit at all the shows except the last one on Dec. 3. It was raining and although the show was inside, people just did not show up. Overall, it was a good year. After the last show, I told people my shop was closed until February! HA! That did not last long as a few customers called and wanted Christmas gifts made; so, I said ok, will get these orders out but will close my shop the 10th of December! IT IS CLOSED! YEA! Going to search for new patterns and change my inventory some. I will still make my good sellers, but, will try new items and stop making some slow selling items. Also, think I will cut my variety of items down and concentrate on just a smaller variety. For example, I have over 50 different patterns of ornaments and just takes too much time to get the display ready; so will cut some patterns out. Same on crosses; just too many patterns. Oh well next year is just around the corner! Merry Christmas ya'll.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 08:58:56 am »
Every year I introduce new items or designs and drop slow sellers.  Same as Toneman.  My main reason for this  is the need to use less display area at the sales I attend.

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 11:33:05 am »
You are so right Jim! I rent two spaces at every inside show and it can get expensive and time consuming. So, in 2017 I will cut my variety down so I will need only one space. I use grid panels and it is becoming a challenge to set them all up and then have to take them down! I have a friend who is a wood carver and his prices range from around $50.00 to $300.00 and really only needs a small space; yet he does really well with a small inventory. Takes him 30 minutes to set up; while it takes me 2 hours.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 08:10:01 pm »
I have made a few, post season, sales lately so I have actually surpassed last years gross sales by a little.  And I still have a week to go this year.  If I put more effort into selling I think I could sell more than I do. Where is the fun in that?
      I have started in on making next years stock and it looks like, if I work at a moderate pace, I will be ready for next year 100% in a week!
      In fact, I started in on making toys for donation to the local hospitals today.  So much time and so little to do.  Life is good.

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 06:57:34 pm »
Update:  I have finished making all I need  for my sales, through next year at this time. (based on previous years sales).   In addition, I have made over two hundred toys.  Now.... I have time...until June, to experiment with new, and different, projects.  I may make some band saw boxes, like I did in 2016 but have not decided on that... yet. (They sell well but I do not like to make them)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

SMF

Teknoromi