Author Topic: Foot switch  (Read 4635 times)

Offline craig_6444

• View Profile
Foot switch
« on: November 20, 2016, 11:28:55 pm »
I picked up the HF foot switch, the dead man type, been using it on the Craftsman while I wait on the Dewalt to arrive, should be Monday, the 21st or so I was told :)
My question for my fellow scroll sawyers, where do you place your footswitch for max comfort, thinking of making a platform, or footrest, with the switch mounted to it, maybe at a slight angle, sorta like a gas peddle in a truck or car, as it is, the switch is so light, it tends to move if not careful.
I was thinking a foot rest, would keep it in place and the angle may be easier on the foot, since we do use the gas peddle, and it would almost seem a natural to "hit the gas" so to speak, even told the wife I bought a gas peddle for the new saw.
What do ya'll think of the platform idea??
Thanks ya'll

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Foot switch
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 05:55:31 am »
Some of that depends on whether you stand or sit.  I'm a stander so the pedal is on the floor and hit the gas as you said.  On the odd occasion that I sit down, I mount it sideways on the leg of my table and use my knee.

Offline dwssr2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 07:08:39 am »
I do not have the dead man type switch, on my 14"saw, I have the switch mounted on the stand so I can turn it on and off with my knee.  This is good because my saw is on castors.  On my 20" saw which has no castors the switch is in the middle between my feet.  On my larger saw, because of the electrical wiring, I can not turn the saw on with the switch, but I can turn it off with the switch.   dan in Pa 

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 09:46:51 am »
I have foot switches on my 2 scroll saws, drill press, band saw, and sanders but I use the tap on tap off type footswitch flat on the floor.  I do not like holding my foot in a certain position as I use the tool.  This way I can stand on both feet, which helps to not strain my back while standing.  If I want the "lift my foot and the saw stops" action, I just step it on and then step it down.  The saw will then stop when I raise my foot.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 09:51:42 am »
I sit on a tall stool and have the dead mans switch on a piece of 2 x 6 about 18" long as a "platform". It works well but, sometimes slides around and if I was as smart as I am old, I would just screw the switch to the board and be done with it! However my laziness overwhelms my brain. :)
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 09:40:42 pm »
I had my saw on a stand and made a platform to sit my feet on, so I mounted my foot switch there. I had the other type of foot switch tap its on tap again its off.

You will have to find the spot thats comfortable for you to mount your foot switch.

Offline jimr1cos

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 11:09:58 pm »
I cut while sitting and use a deadman switch on the floor. My switch came from Amazon and is sturdy and appx. 3in x 5 in. I have 2 sided carpet tape on the
bottom to prevent a lot of sliding around.
Jim

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 08:01:30 am »
I have mine right next to the right front leg of the stand set up like a gas pedal.  This works for me most of the time.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline bellman70

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 09:39:28 pm »
I use a tall stand that I built about 15 years ago, so I'm always standing and using the dead-man switch type foot pedal.  Lately I have been getting some pain the the leg I stand on ( I don't seem to put too much weight on the pedal leg).  Using a stool and mounting the switch so I could reach it with my knee is one thing I never thought of.  Thanks.  The other idea of a switch that latches on may be another thing I may try.  Thanks for the great ideas.
It's nice to be important, but more important to be nice.

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 01:20:01 am »
My standing days are over and I use a stool on both my Hagner and RBI. Because both machines are on their own steel stands, I find it uncomfortable to reach so far with my right foot to the dead man switch. So I elevate my switch. Presently I am using a styrofoam shipping shell from something purchased in the past. (This old German doesn't through to many things away.) It brings the switch up about 6-8" off the ground. This helps with ankle fatigue. Just what I've gotten used to.
I do like the idea of the mounting the switch between the knees on the stand. The knee pressing would the same effect 😄 As that exercise to help with bladder control. Cheers Brian

Offline Dennis123

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 11:18:02 am »
Exercise, excercise . . .    Getting old stinks

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 02:31:56 pm »
Or you can have a switch bar to the side of the knee like some of the older sewing machines had. (instead of between the knees.)

Karl

Offline barb e

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 09:08:43 am »
I have a Dewalt 788 on a stand and place my dead man style foot switch on the brace that runs front to back.  I will switch from right foot to left foot while cutting.

SMF

Teknoromi