Author Topic: Blade feeding  (Read 5695 times)

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
Blade feeding
« on: October 31, 2016, 09:17:43 pm »
In Steves latest video he said that most people bottomfeed I for one top feed just curious what others do

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
Re: Blade feeding
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 09:32:08 pm »
Hi,  when I use the DeWalts, I top-feed, but when using the Excaliburs I switch to bottom-feeding.  Looks like when I buy my new Jet after the first of the year, I'll have no choice but to bottom-feed.  Not really a problem, since most things I make are small.  If I'm going to cut something larger, I'll just go back to a DeWalt.
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 09:50:08 am »
I have been a top feeder ever since I got my DeWalt.  Don't think I could ever go back to bottom feeding.

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 08:42:52 pm »
I've been a bottom feeder from the start. I tried the top feedin', & all I got accomplished was bend blades. So, I went back to bottom feedin'. I get more accomplished.
Sawdust703(Brad)

Offline mangliter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 07:18:11 am »
Even though I have been a puzzle maker, some do require a hole for the eyes. I have found bottom feeding is easier.  I just start with doing other projects that require lots of interior cuts, so I'm finding that bottom feeding is easier for me.  Must be old habits die hard.

Offline wedo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 06:12:58 pm »
bottom feeder

Offline OPi

• View Profile
    • Mahogany and Birch
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 11:02:00 pm »
Bottom up.
Just like I drink my beer.
Turning itty-bitty lines into sawdust. There is a fine line between aweSOME and aweFUL (this is especially true when using a scrollsaw).

Offline trackman

• Always a good day to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 08:38:40 am »
Learned scroll on my own.  I have a EX 21 and seen very fast that it is easier to see hole on top of board than looking under it.  I learned to FEEL were the blade needs to go without looking.  Takes about 4 sec to go from hole to hole.  If your hole in board isn't lined up with hole in table you will bend blade but don't drop arm put in slow till you are sure.  On the village site the poll results are much closer on top vs bottom than here for some reason.  Think if you are a long time scroller you had to start out on saws that only bottom feed at the time.  Now the new ones give a option.

Offline MOONIE

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 10:40:18 pm »
I'm a top feeder.  I'll not consider using a saw with required me to bottom feed.   I like my DeWalt but use my Excalibur more. 
MOONIE

Offline puzzleguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 10:04:06 am »
Top feed on my Eclipse

Offline mainberg

• Better than drivers' license pix
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 10:58:31 am »
I top feed on the elderly DeWalt. Would not want to do some of the things I like to make any other way. Here is an example. I never counted, but someone said there were over 1200 holes. Just call me crazy.
It is an old Berry Basket pattern that is not on the new owner's site.
Pat

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 08:45:43 pm »
i don't use birch plywood in my scroll saw projects b'cause my pockets ain't deep enough, & it burns. I use hardwood in all my scroll projects. I'll use birch ply if I'm doin' a drawer rebuild, or something like that, & I'm able to get it here at my local lumber store. It's damn pricey, but it's one of the few things I don't have to drive 3 hours to a big box store for it.
Sawdust703(Brad)

Offline apopj

• I support the THIN BLUE LINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 04:59:33 pm »
I used to bottom feed, but got so tired of basically crawling under the project to find that tiny hole that I am now strictly a topee. I had a problem at first finding the big slot but then it dawned on me.... if the blade is straight, it will point right to the slot when you lower the arm. So, I simply start to lower the top arm, slide the blade through the hole, catch it on the bottom (to avoid the bent blade scenario) and clamp it. When you are working on large projects, bottom feeding is such a bother. As a topee, I will not be buying one of the new Jet's. The bottom clamp is not tooless and even changing blades becomes a hassle. The new Seyco seems to solve all the problems.
Cut once...period

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 01:23:49 pm »
I have been a bottom feeder since I started, I have no issues even on bigger projects to feed the blade into the next hole, I have tried to top feed but spent more time trying get the blade through the table and wasted a good new blade. I found after drilling the holes I sand the back smooth and use a pencil to mark the holes so I can see them or a sharpie marker or any black marker with a small tip.

Offline Dennis123

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2017, 08:34:45 am »
I use and RBI Hawk machine and tried top feeding a few times but, quickly went back to bottom feeding. The one thing I've done to make finding those tiny holes a breeze is to place a small mirror between the table and my project.  The holes are then very easy to spot and place the blade into. I keep the mirror (it's about 2" x 3") in a drawer right next to my saw. It's pretty rare that I have to even bend over to get the blades inserted.

SMF

Teknoromi