Author Topic: New Jet Saw Review  (Read 4413 times)

Offline rjweb66

• View Profile
New Jet Saw Review
« on: October 20, 2016, 08:44:59 pm »
Good evening,
I want to thank Steve for the first part of the Jet saw review, and looking forward to the follow up. I am on the fence whether to buy the Jet saw and think this will be the information I am looking for, thx again Steve, RJ

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
Re: New Jet Saw Review
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 09:05:52 pm »
I've thought the same thing...just not sure if I should take the plunge.  I notice at Seyco that all 3 sizes of Excalibur are unavailable...not sure if they still make them, or if Seyco just isn't going to carry them, or something totally different.

I have 2 Excaliburs and don't care for them, but this new blade clamping system..if it works..would take care of most of the problems I have with the Ex.  Still won't be as fast as the DW 788, but while those are fast, they still have some drawbacks.  Maybe this new Jet is the perfect solution.

I'm looking forward to Steve's next part of the review, and hope he gives the saw a good workout from now 'til then.
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline Paladin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 12:26:43 pm »
I've had one for a few months now and the blade clamp system works as advertised.  I get good blade tension, and haven't had any problems with slippage.  Have only used flat blades so far, but have a project coming up soon for spiral blades, so  I will see how well it works with those.

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 05:21:07 pm »
  i wonder if the upper blade unit would work on a 788.

Offline puzzleguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 10:01:37 am »
One of my main concerns is that im not crazy about the fact that by releasing tension on the upper chuck
it releases the blade . curious if it deforms the blade which makes it unusable ?
This is what ive heard - and have yet been unable to try before i buy -to see if this is a fact .( jet dealer in buffalo wont carry it )
Im a believe that its not a good thing to keep tension on any saw for any period of time when your not running it .

Offline Paladin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 12:47:53 pm »
One of my main concerns is that im not crazy about the fact that by releasing tension on the upper chuck
it releases the blade . curious if it deforms the blade which makes it unusable ?
This is what ive heard - and have yet been unable to try before i buy -to see if this is a fact .( jet dealer in buffalo wont carry it )
Im a believe that its not a good thing to keep tension on any saw for any period of time when your not running it .

When you are not using it, you just release the top blade clamp like any other saw.  The bottom clamp still stays attached.  Even with no tension, the barrel portion of the bottom clamp remains attached to the machine.

Offline PigsFly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 11:43:07 am »
I've had one for a few months now and the blade clamp system works as advertised.  I get good blade tension, and haven't had any problems with slippage.  Have only used flat blades so far, but have a project coming up soon for spiral blades, so  I will see how well it works with those.

Let us know how the spirals work with the Jet.
Doug

Take what you do seriously
Never take yourself too seriously

Offline apopj

• I support the THIN BLUE LINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 04:55:33 pm »
Do any "top feeders" use the Jet? I have played with it at the woodcraft store and irregardless of what I was told, the bottom clamp is NOT tooless. It is such a pain in the butt to use that I will just wait for the new Seyco saw to come out. I guess my DeWalt and Excalibur saws have spoiled me.....
Cut once...period

Offline Paladin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 05:05:54 pm »
You cannot top-feed on the Jet.

Offline apopj

• I support the THIN BLUE LINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 08:35:52 pm »
I tried and you're right. So, for me, the new jet isn't a step forward. With all the problems reported, it doesn't even seem to be step in any direction... but to each his own. I used to think my Craftsman vibrator saw was great....
Cut once...period

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 01:07:36 pm »
One thing you could do with the jet though would be a pain is insert the blade into the hole on bottom then having to use both hands put project and blade on the table, think Steve did mention this in his second review, does take some getting use to. From what I have seen and read about the jet saw I won't get one or use one, I am a bottom feeder, tried top feeding and was a fail.

SMF

Teknoromi