Author Topic: Newbie from south carolina  (Read 2199 times)

Offline carolinagirl58

• View Profile
Newbie from south carolina
« on: October 08, 2016, 08:26:35 am »
Hi everyone! I am from South Carolina and I just got my very first scroll saw.  It's a beauty....a Hawk G426.  It was at an estate sale.  Lots of testosterone at that sale and I was the only female bidder so I was amazed they left me alone and I got it,  they were all jumping on the big grizzly equipment and may not have noticed what a gem this saw was.  Anyway...it's currently sitting in my living room while I get busy on my workshop.  I also got a gorgeous german made workbench at this sale. It's also in my living room.

I am a total newbie to the scroll saw.  I have done lots of general woodworking over the years, but have wanted to do scroll saw work for a long time.  Especially intarsia. Wow do I love intarsia!!  So this will be fun. 

My new shop is 20'x24', made out of a metal carport.  Trying to decide if I want a concrete floor or a wood floor.  Decisions decisions!! Lol

Anyway...very happy to be here and looking forward to learning from everyone! Thanks!

Offline wedo

• View Profile
Re: Newbie from south carolina
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 09:15:23 am »
Welcome to the site! Hope you'll not be affected by Matthew. There is so much information and help here, so ask any question you have - you'll find the members very friendly.
Bill in Tennessee.

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 11:00:32 am »
Welcome and congrats on the new purchases.  Sounds like you're going to have a first rate shop.  Personally, I'd go with the wood floor.  My scroll shop is 1/4 of a 2 car garage and the concrete floor was SO cold in the winter.  Hubby installed a raised wooden floor and it's so nice...think he may have even put some insulation under it, but not sure.

The only problem I've had with the wood is that where my desk chair and chair at the saw roll, they were wearing into the grain of the plywood.  Solved that by one huge floor mat.  Since the desks are in corners and the chairs sort of back-to-back, one 60X80 mat did the trick nicely.  Now they both roll without destroying the floor.

You'll find that with a bit of practice, you're going to love your new hobby.  Lots of info here, all you have to do is ask.
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 06:44:46 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  Glad to have you.  There are some amazing intarsia artists here.  Congrats on the new saw.  Have fun.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 06:13:38 pm »
Welcome! I am Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas.

SMF

Teknoromi