Author Topic: Tried the new Jet Scroll Saw  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Tried the new Jet Scroll Saw
« on: September 29, 2016, 12:19:16 pm »
I had a chance to work with the new Jet Scroll saw. It is great for bottom feeders like me. Really quite and smooth running.  I only use the spiral blades and it cuts very nice.  Where I usually run my DeWalt at a higher speed when stack cutting 3 layers of 1/4 inch baltic birch, it didn't seem necessary with the Jet.
The only things I found on the "minus" side is that the lever that grabs and tightens the blade turned so easily that it takes a bit of getting used to to keep the tension that I wanted. Also placing the blade in the top "grabber" took some fumbling to get it in place.  I can see where straight end blades would be a great thing.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline puzzleguy

• View Profile
Re: Tried the new Jet Scroll Saw
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 04:56:46 pm »
Hi judy - look like a great machine , have to do some driving to run one -but im a scrollsaw phenatic
so thats probably where ill be this weekend - i use to own a Dewalt ( many years ago )
now my main stay are my Eclipses -but im getting worried  because They have alot of miles on them-
and getting a Jet maybe a good back-up plan -
do you own a dewalt or a Excalibur ? Im curious how it compares to to the Jet -
The jet looks like an updated excalibur -But im not sure -
Thanks for the help !

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 06:52:55 pm »
My usual saw is the DeWalt 788.  The Jet would  take a little getting used to. But it sure is a nice saw.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline puzzleguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 09:40:56 am »
My usual saw is the DeWalt 788.  The Jet would  take a little getting used to. But it sure is a nice saw.

Judy- do you think it cuts as fast as your Dewalt -ive always felt the dewalt cut faster than the excalibur -
thou the jet looks more like the excalibur

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 10:57:41 am »
To be honest I didn't test it at a faster speed. At half speed it does seem to cut slower. I tried an Excalibur once and did not like it. Personal choice, feel of the machine and old cow habit really come into play. If you get a chance, be sure to try before you buy.
I'm from North Dakota

SMF

Teknoromi