Author Topic: Scroll speeds  (Read 2966 times)

Offline Fasturnme

• View Profile
Scroll speeds
« on: September 23, 2016, 03:43:25 pm »
I have been wondering what speeds to use when cutting patterns?  Does it depend on wood thickness, or cutting skill of scroller?  Using a Dewalt 788. usually use between 5-6.  Is that too slow.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 03:49:04 pm by Fasturnme »

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: Scroll speeds
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 12:41:02 pm »
It depends on thickness of wood/material being cut.  Complexity of pattern and skill level of cutter.  Cut at the speed you feel  you are most comfortable at cutting.  The speed of the saw is less important than the feed speed of the material.  Allow the blade to do its job and you will do fine.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 01:24:59 pm »
speed also has alot to do with blade type. If you're using a smaller blade in thin material, The faster you cut, the more tear outs & chipping you'll get. Easy does it until you find a speed that does a good cutting job, & little tear out.

on the other hand, if you're cutting in thicker material, say 1/2", try a #3 skip tooth, or an UR #3, & cut at different speeds to see where the sweet spot is, & leave it there. Every blade type & size will react differently at different speeds. You just have to play with the variables until you reach your satisfaction point. jmo. 

Speed works against blade control, as well. If you're cutting to fast, you'll have less control. To slow & you'll have better control, but at the same time, you may want to  rush the feed rate, & break blades, & have crooked lines. Remember, the smaller the blade, the more tension you'll want. The bigger the blade, the less tension you'll want. It all works together, & takes practice, practice, practice.
Sawdust703(Brad)

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 04:23:21 pm »
I don't think there is any hard and fast rule.  I often change speeds during a cut, so it's all about what you are comfortable with.  Material, pattern, blade & feed rate are all variables that will affect how fast you will want to run the saw.  I probably tend to cut slower than most and I almost never run my saw wide open.  I've been scrolling for about 20 years.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 04:41:23 pm »
When I first started scrolling my speed was slow about half till I got the hang of it. Now I run my saw full out unless its a very tough fragile cut will turn the speed down to keep from breaking anything. If cutting plastic its reccomended to keep saw speed slow keeps the plastic for getting hot and melting back into the cut.

SMF

Teknoromi