Author Topic: Hello from MS  (Read 1668 times)

Offline leehljp

• View Profile
Hello from MS
« on: September 13, 2016, 02:29:39 pm »
Thanks to an email about this forum from Steve, I found it. I don't know where or when I signed up for his emails but it must have been sometimes this past spring.

I am not a total newbie to scroll saws as I did some back in the late 80's and early '90s when I was overseas in Japan. It was a cheap scroll saw though! I was younger and could handle the vibration then.  ;) I used a coping saw considerably back in the late 50s and early 60's as a kid for hobbies. This past January, I was looking at drum sanders at Grizzly in Springfield, MO (daughter lives there) and LOML asked me if I would like to do some scroll saw work. Not one to pass up an invitation for a new tool, I said yes. She bought me a DeWalt. She also bought half a dozen books for projects for me to work on. :o Free tools come with a price!

I do mostly flat work, but got into pen turning in Japan because of space limitations for large tool set up and layout. I am back home now and halfway retired but still working. I had a bunch of tools (BS, TS, welder, lathe, DP, router table, sliding miter saw, thickness planer, jointer, and more in Japan, and had the same and more here. I brought all of the tools back with me and my shop has been a storage area for tools for the past 5 years. This summer I was able to unload some on a son in law, and now I have room to move around in my shop so that I can work.

I have a fair amount of lumber of different kind and am ready to use it.

Intarsia is where I really want to get started. And LOML wants me to also, plus make toys for grandkids.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. :D

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
Re: Hello from MS
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 11:51:47 am »
welcome to the forum. I don't think you'll be sorry aiming towards Intarsia; it has kept my interest for over twenty years and I still love it.

Al
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 12:21:03 pm »
Welcome to the family.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 06:45:06 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  Glad to have you.  We have some extremely talented intarsia artists here (I am not one of them).  I've done a few pieces but nowhere near the talent of some of these guys. 

Offline leehljp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 09:23:46 am »
Thanks for the welcome. I am looking at the different posts and work here and I am amazed. Got a lot of work to do, but hope is what drives us!
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. :D

SMF

Teknoromi