Author Topic: Toys for Childrens hospitals.  (Read 5604 times)

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
Toys for Childrens hospitals.
« on: August 12, 2016, 09:51:26 am »
Our woodworkers club makes over 5200 toys each year that we donate to two local children’s hospitals and to the Ronald McDonald house and The Salvation Army. Mostly cars and trucks and some animal figures. Mostly for toddlers. I thought to make some for older kids that could use it in their hospital bed. This is an unfinished box made of 1/4” plywood and ripped 2×4s. Masonite or paneling will also work. I made it 7” x 10 1/2” O.D. to fit one half of a standard sheet of printer paper on which I printed suitable images to be colored by the kids. Included is a box of crayons that I purchased at Walmart for 25 cents for a box of 24 colors. ( I bought one hundred of them) I have made 30 boxes so far and in each, along with the crayons, I put sixteen 1/2 sheets to color. Printed them on both sides using my laser printer giving them 32 various images to color. The child will be able to color the pages with hinged lid closed and use the box as a small tablet on their lap.
Total cost of materials is $1.17 for wood, hinges, paper and crayons. Fun to make.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: Toys for Childrens hospitals.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 11:41:39 am »
That's a slick idea and I'm sure will be in demand. Is a 2x4 the lowest $/bd-ft out there? I never calculated it. If you're going for <3/4" lumber then the 2x4 rip should be a good way to go. 

It might be neat to try a version with a translucent top and a light inside for tracing images, especially for older kids. I've seen white translucent plastic at the Habitat for Humanity Restore that would be pretty inexpensive.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 01:42:51 pm »
What a wonderful and generous gift idea.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 02:48:04 pm »
I get some free 2x4s from construction sites but mostly I get them from Home Depot on their 70% off cart.  I just plane the 2x4s smooth on both sides and then rip off 3/8" strips (by 1 3/8") to make the sides of these boxes.  I use a 24 teeth blade in my table saw that leaves zero saw marks so there is little sanding required.

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 03:33:37 pm »
Hi Jim

I plan on making some for our club to see as I really love the idea.  I just want to find a local hospital in the region that will take.

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

Do you mitre the corners or just a box joint.?

Do you make the complete box and then cut the lid?

What size hinges do you use?

Thanks

Don

Offline Dennis123

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 06:39:46 pm »
Wow.  What an awesome, generous idea.

Dennis

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 08:03:18 am »
I cut the sides to 3/8" thickness after planning smooth from a 2x4.  I then cut these strips at 45° angle and glue them together with white glue.  I use masking tape and rubber bands to hold this frame together as the glue dries.  I then glue, to the top and bottom of this frame, 1/4" -1/8" plywood or Masonite paneling.  I cut off the excess in my band saw and sand smooth and round corners in my stationary belt sander.  I then cut off the lid (about 5/8"-3/4") sand that cut surface, and apply the surface mounted hinges.  I use 3/4" long hinges but 1/2" would also work I think.  I use #2 screws Brass plated Philips head 1/4" long.  I place a spacer that is the thickness of two business cards, between the lid and the box, beside the hinges as I mount them so that the front of the box lid touches before the back , hinge side, pinches. I get my hinges and screws here:
http://craft-inc.myshopify.com/products/l262-largel-decorative-hinge

(I see that home depot has this paneling for $12  per four by eight feet sheet and plain 1/8" Masonite for $9 a sheet).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 08:09:47 am by Jim Finn »

No PHD, just a  DD 214

SMF

Teknoromi