Author Topic: Cedar Wood  (Read 5335 times)

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Cedar Wood
« on: August 02, 2016, 03:32:48 pm »
I recently cut some bookends from some scrap 3/4" cedar someone gave me. I really loved the way the cedar finished. I dipped it in BLO/Mineral spirits mixture and finished with a clear poly. I went to Home Depot to buy some more, but, it was not the same; no red color or pattern. Is there different types of cedar? What I used was red; really nice patterns with very few knots.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: Cedar Wood
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 06:41:15 pm »
There are at least 3 different species of Cedar Tony.
Western Red Cedar (aromatic )
Yellow Cedar
Spanish Cedar
White Cedar
There are many many more but these are the most common here in the states.

As with all woods western red cedar has a wide variety of coloration from a light tint to a vibrant red and white.  A lot will depend upon where you get it, when it was cut and how it was cut.  You can get some really nicely figured Cedar on Ebay - for instance - http://www.ebay.com/itm/4ea-4-4-Eastern-Red-Cedar-4-5-8-X-34-3-4-/142066253627?hash=item2113ceff3b:g:O0sAAOSwBw5XRJ6~

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 09:01:02 pm »
I use over 500 board feet of cedar a year.  Eastern red cedar (aromatic)...  Western red cedar is what is used to make fences here in Texas.  It smells all together different than the aromatic eastern does.  Cedar's red color dulls quickly over time if no finish is applied.  I am guessing the off color cedar you saw would become very red once you run it through your thickness planer.  I finish cedar with a brushed on coat of sanding sealer (or lacquer) sand that smooth and then spray on lacquer or wipe on, then spray on, poly.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 11:18:24 am »
Jim is correct.  Western red cedar they use for roofing shakes, shingles and cedar fencing to name a few items. not the brilliant aromatic cedar you are speaking of, that is eastern cedar.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 11:26:45 am »
I use the Western Red Cedar fencing boards for signs, beautiful wood after finishing, very inexpensive.  But only a little over 5/8" thick, but that is fine for signs.  Best part beautiful & not expensive.  A 6" wide by 6' long piece cost about $2.00.
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 03:51:34 pm »
Thank all of ya'll for your responses to my question about cedar. Now, I know what to look for and how to finish. Never worked with cedar before but now wanting to make a few items such as book ends, business card holders,plaques, etc.

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 05:57:14 pm »
Besides being beautiful when finished and inexpensive, the Western Red Cedar fence boards are so easy to work.
EX-21

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 06:20:09 pm »
Speaking of western red cedar, I made this a few years back.

Cedar is known to do well outdoors as far as rot and it is beautiful when first cut but finish doesn't do so well and this glider sure doesn't look like this now. I wish I hadn't put any finish on it in the first place and just let it turn natural silver grey now. For inside work it is beautiful and any clear coat will be very nice.

I also built this for a neighbor and good friend.

Same problem!
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 08:27:35 pm »
Howdy toneman! I've used cedar in several projects. I just finished two garden carts that I made from Western cedar I managed to locate right here in our home county. The trees had been taken down by a farmer ten years ago to widen his drive way to allow for bigger farm equipment. He said they had the trees planked shortly after taking them out, & stored the wood in his barn on the floor, flat & solid. It's been laying there all this time. There was thicknesses from a full 1" down to 5/8". It was red cedar. I didn't plane a single piece of it, only to joint the edges for the table saw. I didn't use any finish on the cedar, nor did I sand any of it. I left it rough sawn for the look. I've also made memorials from dark cedar, & 3/4" exterior cedar. My nephew was killed four years ago in a drunk driving accident, & I designed & made an 3' x 8' cross that we put at the crash site. Everything, including the cross, is made of cedar. I resawed a cedar 2" x 4" 3' long to an 1" thick, & cut his entire name in that w/the scroll saw. It was the cross piece. I bolted it to a 4" x 4" 8' long. Then I cut several patterns of things he liked, all out of cedar. They were also cut w/the scroll saw. I also made a picture frame from cedar that is under the cross piece w/his picture in it. I bought the cedar from our local lumber yard, & used an exterior clear coat put out by rustoleum. We set the cross 3' deep in concrete, & leveled the ground off with sand & rocks. It is still standing, & all the pieces are still on it. I enjoy working w/cedar. It has many different patterns in it, & it makes the project look unique from any other. Thanks for starting this, toneman. Every chance you can to get some different breeds of cedar, get it! You won't be disappointed, brother! Thanks for starting this post. God bless!
Sawdust703(Brad)

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 08:48:49 am »
I used to have a source for the Eastern red cedar for .75 a bd ft.  Used some for closet angels that were cut then added a hanger.  They were unfinished for the scent.  It can be renewed with a light sanding after it fades.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 03:09:37 pm »
So nice to belong to a forum like this that has so many nice folks willing to share there ideas and experiences. Thank ya'll for the pictures and the information on cedar wood. I am certainly going to purchase a few feet for some future projects!

Offline arkiewood

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 12:07:59 am »
I make outdoor furniture with Red Cedar it turns out good. I put 2 coats of Spar Varnish on them.

Let's make some saw dust!

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 02:44:49 pm »
I live in Northern Saskatchewan, cedar does grow naturally in our area but is easily obtained from lumberyards. I love the look of it and is very easy to work with, for carving it holds detail fairly well and for intarsia it moulds easily to the needed shapes. I use it very little because I have a severe sensitivity to the dust and fumes; I have even tried air supplied breathing apparatus and can still get a reaction so I look for other woods. Locally grown pine, spruce, polar and birch are the inexpensive types of wood in this area and they all scroll so nicely. thanks for the opportunity to share

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2016, 08:41:38 am »
I love working with Western Red Cedar, I but it at the big box stores, it is beautiful when finished, soft & so easy to work with and very inexpensive compared to other woods.  It is sold as fence boards & as alos nentioned abt. 5/8" thick x abt. 5 1/5" wide & comes in 5" & 8' lengths.  I use it to make signs also.
EX-21

SMF

Teknoromi