Author Topic: Anyone have a mini 4" table saw?  (Read 6044 times)

Offline Lorace

• View Profile
Anyone have a mini 4" table saw?
« on: April 15, 2016, 11:13:29 pm »
Not sure where to post this,   I find sometimes I would like to have a mini table saw.  for real small cuts.   Does anyone have a mini 4" table saw?
what kind do you have and how do you like it?   

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have a mini 4" table saw?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 12:06:37 pm »
I've never heard of such a thing' but that doesn't mean they don't exist.
I have seen people bolt a standard circular (Skill saw) to the bottom of a piece of plywood and make a plunge cut that allows the blade to protrude to the top side. It forms a table saw of sorts but, seems rather dangerous to me.
I think you would want to wire a switch that is readily accessible, but still without a fence or blade guard, disaster looms near by.
Regular 10" table saws are a lot different than a scroll saw and are inherently more dangerous but quite handy for cutting big pieces into small pieces. I've owned one for more than 10 years and couldn't do without it.
However they do take quite a bit of room in the shop which is probably your problem I gather. Cost is also something to consider but as is oft said "You get what you pay for."
I recommend that you go for the real deal and by a saw that will do the job in a safer manner than playing with a toy that will still cut off a finger.
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline kc0iv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 04:00:22 pm »
Not sure where to post this,   I find sometimes I would like to have a mini table saw.  for real small cuts.   Does anyone have a mini 4" table saw?
what kind do you have and how do you like it?

http://www.micromark.com/microlux-mini-tilt-arbor-table-saw-for-benchtop-hobby-use,7500.html

http://www.micromark.com/microlux-miniature-table-saw,6936.html

http://www.sears.com/hf-tools-hft93211-4in-mini-table-saw/p-SPM2243360321?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

leon
kc0iv

Kansas City, MO.

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 06:22:42 pm »
Proxxon make a large range of hobby machinery...

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=proxxon+hobby+saw&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiazObZl5TMAhVD2BoKHVqXD_YQsAQILQ&biw=1536&bih=753&dpr=1.25

I inherited my brothers hobby saw and I have only used it once. It is not shown in any of the pictures in the link. My thoughts are...it would only cut softer woods like balsa wood, and only in very small dimensions. If I was to go out and buy a saw that was to be used for scroll saw work, I would look at getting something a bit bigger that would handle any future requirements.

Dave.
My parents must have been psychic, as a child they were always telling me to 'Cut It Out'. So they knew a long time ago that I would become a scroll saw artist.

Offline Lorace

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 11:28:22 pm »
Thank you for all the info.   I do have a  Table saw,  and a chop saw.    I use my chop saw a lot,  not so much the table saw.
I did buy the " 4 in. Mighty-Mite Table Saw with Blade" from Harbor Fright for 36.00  have used it two times, and works good
with the Balsa wood I am using right now.

Claymore

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 06:15:40 pm »
I used to use a Plasplugs ceramic tile cutter like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plasplug-tile-Cutter-/401145104406?hash=item5d661c8816:g:-8kAAOSwOVpXc5ct but i replaced the standard diamond blade with a normal fine tooth blade of the same diameter and it worked great, enough power to cut upto 15mm plywood.
I will try and find where I bought the blade from and let you know.
Proxxon make a small saw and there stuff is superb..... I have a Proxxon lathe and rotary tool that runs rings round Dremels etc.
Cheers
Brian

Offline Lorace

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 11:45:21 pm »
Thank you!  I did get the little one from Harbor Fright,  and its fine so far.

Offline sefleming

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 07:57:17 am »
New to the site and just saw this post about the 4" saw.  Have any of you used the 4" Harbor Freight saw?
Thoughts?  Pros / cons?
For $36.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 09:53:42 am »
I looked at the Harbor freight small miter saw on their website and noticed it does not do compound cuts,  I am looking for a small double compound cutting miter saw.  All I can find are single bevel.  I would like to have a small double compound saw to make crosses with.  I use my Bosch 12" saw and it seems dangerous to use it on such small pieces.   Any suggestions?
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 01:51:12 am »
New to the site and just saw this post about the 4" saw.  Have any of you used the 4" Harbor Freight saw?
Thoughts?  Pros / cons?
For $36.

I saw that one time and though its cool little saw, but looks cheap and under powered. Alot of the reviews reflected that, they stated its good for balsa wood for doll house builds or plane builds, if do use more solid wood to go thin and light weight, some have siad a better blades helps. Look on youutube for reviews and modifications of it.

Offline wedo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 10:16:56 am »
I just received a similar 4" table saw as a Christmas present. These 4" saws all look alike, just different colors. I tried mine out and it will cut 5/8" thick material, pine, with no indication of limited power. It seems to have enough HP to be sufficiently powered. I spent some time making sure the blade and cross cut grooves were aligned. That and making sure the table is square to the blade is most of the deficiencies. Overall it does what I need. 

SMF

Teknoromi