Author Topic: resawing  (Read 2486 times)

Offline barb e

• View Profile
resawing
« on: April 05, 2016, 09:05:56 am »
Hi all.  This isn't really a scroll saw question/issue, but I know that I will get answers.  I recently pulled out my Ryobi bandsaw
so I can cut my thicker material into thinner material.  (Took some 3/4" aspen that I used for a bowl and wanted to cut it into 3 thinner
pieces).  When I did the cut, using the fence, the material was still not evenly cut.  It appears that the blade "bowed".  Looking for tips on how to do
this properly.  Is it just my cheap band saw, should I be using a thick blade?  Help please!!!

Barb

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
Re: resawing
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 09:34:52 am »
Probably the most common cause of this is not enough tension on the blade.  To get good results when re-sawing, there are a lot of factors to consider.  If you have the manual for the saw, see if it has instructions on how to properly adjust and set up the saw.  Go through all of those steps to ensure the saw is operating to it's fullest potential.  There are probably even tons of YouTube videos you could watch on tuning a bandsaw that might be helpful.

The location of the blade guides and tracking of the blade is also critical for re-sawing.  Unfortunately, I believe that the inexpensive, bench top bandsaws are always going to present a challenge when it comes to re-sawing.  If it is the 3 wheel version, those are notoriously finicky to get adjusted properly.  Thicker (wider) blades can help with re-sawing, but I doubt you will be able to put a much wider blade on a small, benchtop saw.  Because the wheels are smaller than on larger saws, it means the blade has to be flexible enough to bend in the tighter circumference. That will limit the width/thickness of the blade the saw will accept.  Also, wider re-saw blades require more tension than the narrow blades.  Most of the smaller, benchtop saws don't have the capability to apply enough tension for them.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 11:26:54 am »
Another common cause is pushing the wood into the blade too fast.  Let your blade do it's work and just guide it.  Lastly, you need a really sharp blade to get your best cuts.
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 06:26:39 pm »
I re-saw a lot.  I agree with all that has been said above.  I have a larger saw (14") and re-saw using a 1/2" carbide blade I get at Supercuts.  New blade, high tension, slow feed rate.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline barb e

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 08:23:01 am »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I will try a new blade with more tension.  If that doesn't work, the I guess I can go get a new saw  😀

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 10:00:00 pm »
Look at the "Alex Snodgrass" video on band saws.  He explains how to set one up and adjust it.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

SMF

Teknoromi