Author Topic: Cutting letters  (Read 3066 times)

Offline tonyuk

• View Profile
Cutting letters
« on: September 01, 2015, 01:07:00 pm »
I've been asked to cut several of the 'Anchors Aweigh' pattern published by Steve.  I'm using 3/4 inch oak and find the lettering particularly taxing for a relative newbie like myself.  Letters like 'e' are notorious because of the cross grain just where I don't want it. 

Because of the thickness and toughness I'm using a No3 scroll reverse blade.  I'm using an Excalibur with the speed reduced to about 25%.

I guess most of my problems are due to lack of experience but does anybody have any tips for this work.

Thank you for any help.

Tony Smith

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Re: Cutting letters
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 05:03:40 pm »
Oak is not my favorite to cut because of the grain.

1.   Did you wrap in packing tape?  It sometimes helps with hardwood.

2.   Are you pushing too hard.  Let the blade do the cutting.

Don

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 06:37:58 am »
Tony, I find it really hard to cut with the motor slowed down that far.  Just because you have the motor going faster doesn't mean you have to cut fast.  Slow your feed down but speed up your motor.  Feed it slow and steady.  We all tend to tense up when we get to those areas that we predetermine are going to be tough to cut.  Relax.  Drop your shoulders and take the death grip off the wood.  Breath.  It will all come with practice.  It sounds like you are doing all the rest just fine.

Offline tonyuk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 03:12:50 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions folks.

I do use packing tape but not on the back.  I'll give that a go and up the speed again.

Tony

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 11:14:01 pm »
Two things I've noticed when I cut letters. First, I always cut the inside of the letter first. That way the outer part of the letter still has support and the letter inside can float freely when cutting the outer lines.  Second, I found just how I  turn a corner or the size of a blade I'm using, sometimes put undue torque on the small remaining parts. Don't give up. You'll find that just right combination.  Brian

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 08:07:28 pm »
I cut 3/4" wood mostly and I use #5 blades.  You may like them.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

SMF

Teknoromi