Author Topic: Computer Problems  (Read 8535 times)

Offline harsonly

• View Profile
    • Questions and Answers
Re: Computer Problems
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 06:56:29 am »
Just change your old one and take new computer with some good  parameters

Offline Octoolguy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 03:51:40 pm »
I have read through all the answers and nobody that I saw recommended adding RAM. I have a Win 10 machine that my neighbor took to Best Buy. They convinced her that it was beyond saving and sold her a new machine. She did keep her hard drive. I managed to get her old computer. It's an Acer with the Intel I-3 chip. I bought two identical 1 tb drives and added enough memory to bring it to the max 16 gig. This little machine that was "dead" is the fastest machine I have ever had. I've got a Toshiba laptop running the I-7 chip and it is slower than my desktop. I have always thought that something is wrong with it but haven't gone into it yet. It's been about 4 years so I'm not in any hurry. Anyway, the info above is all pretty good but it is still a good idea to max out the RAM.
Dewalt 788 Type 1, Hegner Multimax 18E, Excalibur Ex-21

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 10:07:52 am »
I have read through all the answers and nobody that I saw recommended adding RAM.
You are absolutely correct.

If any Windows machine runs more applications and services than will fit into RAM, the machine will start using virtual memory.  That means that segments of RAM will be swapped to and from the hard drive.

What this really means is that your computer will slow to a crawl!  Moving blocks of memory to something as slow as a spinning hard drive is painfully slow.  Even if you have an SSD (solid state drive), it will still  have a major impact on system performance.

There are two solutions - running few apps (including closing browser tabs), or install more memory.

Most recent computers will allow up to 16Gb ram, even though they often ship with only 2Gb installed.  This is not overly expensive, and addresses the issue in the best way possible.

If the computer is older, it should still allow up to 8Gb ram, which will help.  I have an older Toshiba 12.5" laptop with 8Gb installed and an low power dual core i7 CPU.  As long as I don't go crazy opening applications and browser tabs, it is still a great performer

Buying a machine with the latest and greatest CPU buys you bragging rights.  Buying a machine with a balanced configuration (CPU, RAM, storage, video, buss type) will give you a machine that continues to be useful far past the time you would ever expect.
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2018, 10:45:44 am »
I agree with most of what folks are saying, however Microsoft has a ways to go as their OS while getting better is still not what it should be.  Neither is Apple which is nothing more than UNIX with a User Interface.  There are better ways to handle software and hardware out there being developed that do not have either of the big 2 companies ( Microsoft and Apple ) inside.  More than anything is to keep your system patched, and protected.  It does not hurt to have a bit of room for RAM upgrades either.  The more you make the unit solid state - IE nothing is spinning to get information the better, as well.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Octoolguy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2018, 03:44:17 pm »
Another problem that many users don't understand is how many programs are loading at start-up. Other than your security software, you really don't need anything loading right at start-up. You can open the software programs that you need and then close them when you are finished. On my machine, I keep my anti-virus, a firewall program, a password keeper, my printer/scanner utility and the necessary programs to control my internet/network systems. That's it. Nothing more is needed. People have a way of trying new free software that self-installs and forces it's way onto the startup folder/taskbar. Clean all that stuff up. Go into the control panel and see what programs are on your computer and UNINSTALL the ones that you don't use. That will make a much better working environment and speed things up.
Dewalt 788 Type 1, Hegner Multimax 18E, Excalibur Ex-21

SMF

Teknoromi