Author Topic: New Rule For Posting Photos For Pattern Makers  (Read 9406 times)

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
New Rule For Posting Photos For Pattern Makers
« on: March 13, 2015, 09:36:30 am »
Since there is limited space for Photos here on the forum I think I have a way that we can help but I need everyone's cooperation and understanding as to what we need to accomplish.

As of today if you want a pattern made from a photo, make the post and state/type " I have a photo I would like to have made to a pattern. Any pattern makers willing to help please respond either here in the post or in a PM (private message) your e-mail address and I will e-mail you the photo". But Do Not Upload A Photo.

You don't have to use those exact same words, I hope you understand my message/example.

This will help with the limited data storage and it has it's bonuses. You will be able to send the pattern maker a larger photo through the e-mail and the pattern maker can send you a larger pattern to use.

I think this is a win-win situation. We can all do our part to help Steve out and it will help the forum. I hope everyone understands and cooperates. It maybe an inconvenience but will help with the data storage usage and we may not be forced to use an outside source.

Just to make this part clear, if you make a pattern and want to share it with the forum members you can still upload those. We are only talking about the pattern requests (portraits) from a photo.

Thanks,
Russ

russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: New Rule For Posting Photos For Pattern Makers
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 09:59:12 am »
Should we post instructions for uploading a photo to an outside site and linking to it on the forum posts? I use Google+ (Picassa) to put photos on-line and can easily link to them with the picture button on this forum. Others use PhotoBucket. I believe that takes a minimum of forum space (just the address of the picture).
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 11:46:57 am »
If you want to EIEIO, that would be great. I don't have the time at this moment. Preparing for two shows today.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Getting a photo to show up and stay visible on the forum
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 06:49:45 pm »
Photos that have been uploaded to the forum recently are getting lost. A way to avoid losing the image is to first upload it to an Internet photo hosting site. I use the Google+ Photo function to upload a picture. Once it's on line you can put a link to it in your forum posting that should not get lost.

But First - you need a place to upload it. Here are instructions on setting up a photo site on Google. This is a free service, but you need to join Google. If you have gmail then you are already a member. If not, you can join Google without setting up a gmail account. Here are some instructions for uploading:
    http://m.wikihow.com/Upload-Photos-in-Google%2B
This can also be done using Picassa to move photos to an on-line Google+ photo album.

When your photo is on the Google+ site, you can see it in your browser. Right click the photo and select "copy image URL" (in Chrome). Then go to the scrollsaw community forum, start your posting, and click on the "Insert Picture" button above (looks like Mona Lisa). That puts image (img) tags in your post. Paste the URL between those image tags. Then if you hit the Preview button you should see your posting with the photo in it. When it's good, hit the Post button.

Note that this does not take any photo memory on the forum site so it should not get dropped.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 07:02:10 pm »
I would suggest using Pm's. Problem with email address in a forum is robots tend to pick and the email address and you get spam mail.

Offline rdatelle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 10:45:45 pm »
Hi Eieio, I tried putting a pic like you said but I can't see where it says insert pic or where you see mono lisa. I'm in crome and I coppied the URL like you said but when I start a new post I don't see mona lisa or an insert button. I'm I doing something wrong.
Ralph

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 09:00:15 am »
I also use Chrome. When you reply or make a new posting, the screen shows (top to bottom) edit boxes for "Subject:", then "Message Icon:", then 3 rows of buttons. The top left button has a 'B' and makes text look Bold. The next button has an I on it and makes text into Italics.

The 2nd row leftmost button shows the tiny Mona Lisa and lets you insert a link to an image. The 3rd row has the smiley faces  :) ;) :D etc.

If you place your mouse cursor over the Mona Lisa button but don't click, a balloon pops up that reads "Insert Image". When you do click it, it will insert tags that read "{img}{/img}" (but in square brackets [..]). Paste the URL to your image between those tags.

If you don't click Mona Lisa but first paste the link into the edit box, you can select the link and then click the Insert Image button and the tags will be placed to surround the link. The picture below is linked that way: 

EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline justsomeguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 03:49:25 pm »
what about possibly just restricting the size limits of posted pictures? I am on a couple sites that have this restriction in place. on average I can take a picture that is 1.82mb's and VERY quickly and easily resize it to 29.4kb ..this process is so easy and FREE to do that anyone can do it in the matter of a minute at the most..would that be a possible option ? it's just nice to see people post the picture that they are requesting and being able to see what these awesome pattern makers can do with it....it's a shame that it is messing up the site and I totally understand why this is being done....just thought this might be another possibility for people to still be able to do it..

thanks,

Offline rdatelle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 05:35:17 pm »
Thanks EIEIO, I found where you said they were. The Mona Lisa was so small; that I didn't notice it. LOL. I got it now. Thanks again. Ralph.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 05:26:15 pm by rdatelle »
Ralph

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 06:49:08 pm »
Oh my... I just did this very thing earlier today.  So sorry...

In my own defense, I'm really new here and didn't read the rules... my bad... and I know... that's a really lame excuse. :(
I actually posted the picture out of desperation as I promised my sister that I would make one for her.  My problem is that I cannot find the pattern I used to make the one in the picture.

You can be sure that I won't put any pictures up again.

/Oscar

SMF

Teknoromi