Author Topic: UK Supply of SOLID wood boards, about 1 inch thick. Would people be interested?  (Read 4640 times)

Keith Sharples

I have recently found a small supply of inch thick (aprox) boards of Sycamore & Spalted Beech here in the UK.  The chap who mills this wood is a friend of mine, and between us we have decided to offer these up for sale, & therefore are just looking to see if people are interested in them for scrolling.  The boards are wavy/natural edged, and will require a touch of sanding as they are sawn finish (fairly smooth though) and pieces range in width up to about 20 inches.  If you are interested, please let me know and we will see what can be arranged when we have an idea of the level of interest.   ;)

Keith.  (Norfolk, UK)

Offline loftyhermes

• View Profile
Hi Keith, 
I'm in the UK and for scrolling if you could supply wood thinner than 3/4" say  1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" then I think that you would create a greater interest especially in the UK where this size of wood is not readily available and a lot of scrollers don't have the facilities to resaw wide boards, I for one don't have the space or equipment to resaw wide boards, I can only resaw 3" deep on my little 3 wheel bandsaw.  I would be interested in buying wood up to 12" wide thinner than 3/4" depending on price.
happy scrolling
Steve
Outside a dog a scrollsaw is a mans best friend, inside a dog it's too dark to cut.

Offline tommyb43

• View Profile
Hi Keith
I am in the same boat as Steve, thinner boards would be preferred for scrolling and carving.

Give me a rough estimate of price and min order

Regards Tom

Matthew Harper

I live in the US, and might be interested. A rough estimate for the cost and shipping would be nice   -Matt

Keith Sharples

At this point I'm only seeing if people are interested so I can see what can be arranged.  There may well be some boards ready for sale in a month or so, as they are still too high in moisture content at the moment.  We are still working out prices so will get back to you all shortly, though I would guess sending out of the UK would be very expensive....sorry!

Keith.

Offline tommyb43

• View Profile
Nice to here Keith Could you keep me informed when you are ready,
Might get a chance to collect  :) You are only up the road a bit.

Regards Tom

Keith Sharples

Nice to here Keith Could you keep me informed when you are ready,
Might get a chance to collect  :) You are only up the road a bit.

Regards Tom

Hi Tom,  we are looking into the possibility of having some pieces kiln dried, but nothing arranged as yet.  I'll post again on here when there's some further development.  I'm based about 10 miles from Kings Lynn, where are you?  If you're fairly local or on a route I travel fairly regularly, I could always drop it in for you!  There may be other species of wood available in the future too, but that will depend on what my friend can get his hands on & how long it would take to dry properly. It's just the start of things to come if we get enough interest to make it worth while setting up & doing.  The wood is only a sawn finish, though not that rough really, so would take a bit of sanding with a belt sander to get it really smooth.  Again though, there is a chance we may be able to get some put through a thicknessing plainer...all things we're looking into.   ;)

Keith.

Offline tommyb43

• View Profile
Hi Keith
I am on the Euro Park side of Ipswich and work in Stanton near Bury St Edmunds

Drop me a PM when any news

Regards Tom

Offline Aggrajag

• View Profile
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but did anything come of it? I would be interested if it ever (unlikely I guess) came to fruition.

SMF

Teknoromi