Author Topic: Mighty Mite 4" table saw  (Read 7750 times)

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Mighty Mite 4" table saw
« on: January 18, 2013, 09:58:13 pm »
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-mighty-mite-table-saw-93211.html

Has anybody seen this or tried it? I was thinking of getting one to try and cut my wood for my patterns rather than getting a full size table saw or using my jig saw or scroll to cut out wood blanks. I would only be cutting either 1/8 or 1/4 inch wood, I think it would do it, just wish it did 45 degree cuts.

The WoodArtist

Re: Mighty Mite 4" table saw
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 11:31:42 pm »
I actually bought one of these a while back. I will say I wasn't to happy with it. The saw blade would slow down or stop when cutting and would have to pick up the wood and let the sawblade speed back up and try again and keep repeating this until I cut my piece. I then thought I would use this to cut my frame wood and use to make my frames well it did that but with the same process as mentioned. I ended up taking the saw apart and turning it into a sander with a mop sanding head and it works ok but yet again the speed slows down when sanding something. So to say the least it's a great idea but the motor makes it a bad saw. I would say it isn't worth the money as it don't work for anything or at least I haven't thought of any ideas to use the motor for yet.

Offline Gadois

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 02:04:00 am »
dirtrider -- I have a Dremel 4" table saw which I am selling. It's a very powerful little saw. It will cut 45 degree angles, has a shop vac port, and extra belt and a couple of blank throat inserts. Blades are available from Micro-Mark. If interested, let me know.
Gadois
If you can't learn how to do something well, learn how to enjoy doing it poorly.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 09:11:56 am »
The Wood Artist-did you use the blade that came with the saw or buy a blade, the reviews did say the motor was weak, but not to use the blade that comes with it, to buy the carbide tip blade made it better.

Gadios- Where are you located? What would you sell it for, will have to research it.

The WoodArtist

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 10:43:12 am »
The Wood Artist-did you use the blade that came with the saw or buy a blade, the reviews did say the motor was weak, but not to use the blade that comes with it, to buy the carbide tip blade made it better.

I used both. Now the motor is being used for a windmill I made and works great for that. The blades are being used on a small tree trimer I modified. I found a use for the saw though it's not because I wanted to use it for something different but being I bought it and couldn't take it back after trying it out, I didn't want to throw it away as a lost money. If I had actually done research as I do now I wouldn't had bought it.

Gadios- Where are you located? What would you sell it for, will have to research it.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 02:47:19 pm »
Ok thanks its good know before I bought it, though its a good idea to have small table saw, just wished it had more power, will come up with something, there is a setup for the dremel that turns it into a saw.

Offline mainberg

• Better than drivers' license pix
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 03:04:50 pm »
You might look at the Byrnes 4" saw. Really nice, but not cheap, but very precise.
www.byrnesmodelmachines.com
Pat B

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 03:09:42 pm »
I bought one of these about a year ago and it works great to do those small jobs.

Got mine reconditioned for just over $100.

Drill has plenty of torque and I use it for just about everything.

http://www.cpoindustrialpowertools.com/makita-lct208w-12v-cordless-lithium-ion-2-piece-combo-kit/mktnlct208w,default,pd.html

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 03:17:39 pm »
I have a little Dremel 4" TS and it works quiet well for its size.
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 05:14:00 pm »
Well I got some stuff to make my own small saw will see how it goes. I was looking at the black and decker matrix drill set has head attachments to the drill motor, so it can be a sander, drill, jig saw, circular saw, all sorts of stuff.

king310

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 09:10:21 pm »
You can buy a hobby type saw for about $100. 10 inch blade and also can use a dado blade. Small top and it ok for small projects. It is light enough you can pick it up and move it around.
They call them a benchtop table saw. Most of them come with a stand.
SEARS, SKIL, HARBOR FREIGHT

If your not cutting wide pieces it works great 11 inch width max.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 09:29:47 pm »
The most I am cutting on is 2x2 boards, but need cuts from those say like a 6x6 blank to put a pattern on, just like straight edges and clean cuts on the side as well, I seen the one at harbor freight for 139 and like it.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 10:35:09 pm »
Check CPO for refurbished table saws!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Gadois

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 05:00:46 pm »
dirtrider, I am in southern Oregon. The saw is $50 plus shipping.

Gadois
If you can't learn how to do something well, learn how to enjoy doing it poorly.

Gatoruss

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 07:04:31 pm »
I was looking at that saw to use for model building, and most of the stuff I read complained that the saw was underpowered and that the table and blade were very bad.  That said, many folks said performance was better with a blade with a smaller kerf - apparently blades for the dremel table saw worked well - these blades were batter suited to the saw's limited motor.  Also, I came across some interesting threads describing mods that made the table more usable:
Interesting stuff.

BTW - I picked up a unit last weekend to check it out .... And it is TINY SMALL!!!!

SMF

Teknoromi