Author Topic: scrollsaw light  (Read 9902 times)

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
scrollsaw light
« on: November 04, 2012, 12:36:28 pm »
i was going to up grade the light i use for scrolling.right now i use one of those arm lights with the magnifier and the round florescent bulb.what would be a better light to use and where to purchase them?i found this one http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21264&Max=999 and this one on the seyco site http://www.seyco.com/saws.html anyone use either of those lights.
Thanks
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 03:42:27 pm by newfie »

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: scrollsaw light
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 04:49:31 pm »
I can't speak to the one from Seyco, but I had the one from Rockler before there was a recall.  For my taste the light wasn't near bright enough, and the magnifier too small in diameter.  When they recalled them I got my money back and bought the type you are using now.  It isn't perfect, but it is much better for me.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 05:46:09 pm »
I agree with Bill.. I have one very similar to the Rockler and Seyco.  I do not care for it at all. I use the round florescent also and have no problem with it. I just bought another just like it at a yard sale. Got it for $12.  the size of the LED light is just too small.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline rickther

• eureka ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 07:36:02 pm »
I have one similar to seyco, love it. bought it with the rbi.
    Rick
RBI VS 26

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 08:42:07 pm »
Hey Todd, I don't think you are going to find a better light! I have the one with the round florescent light too. At Woodcraft where I teach and do demos, they have one of each mounted to the demo saw. I only use the florescent one. The one with the LED's is just not bright enough. On my saw, I have the lighted magnifier mounted on the left side of the saw, and a lamp with a florescent bulb on the right. Plenty of light for these tired eyes!
Dan In Southern California

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 08:55:47 pm »
thanks guys appreciate the info.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 06:21:53 am »
I have the Seyco light and love it.  Mine is several years old and still works great.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 08:34:07 am »
I use the Seyco light and also have a florescent lamp above my saw.
Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 01:53:15 pm »
I have the Seyco LED light that I bought two years ago with my EX21, and I love it!  I find it is much brighter and whiter than the circular florescents I've had in the past, and while the magnifier is a bit smaller, it's more than large enough for my needs.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

IBMer

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 08:19:03 pm »
I went with this Beauty.   7" magnifier + Natural Daylight balanced light built in.   AC Moore often has 50% off coupons in the mail, so I grabbed this for half off the original price.

http://www.acmoore.com/p-79334-naturalight-7-magnifying-lamp-.aspx

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 07:30:50 am »
I have a mobile flourescent that is free standing and can be moved as needed.  When not in use is out of the way.

Dean A

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 11:29:43 am »
hate to bump this, but I do have a question with the Rockler light. If its mounted to the machine (scroll saw) does it vibrate? It seems to me it would shake a bit. I really need something cause my eyes are not the same. I guess all those people that said after 40 your gonna need glasses were right.

Anyways, I'm going to Rockler tomorrow to take some dust collection parts back and thought while I was there I would pick the lamp up. It's on sale

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 11:47:31 am »
Dean, I have the light(s) attached to the workbench so there is no vibration. I like the circle light, but I have additional lights, it swings out of the way quite easily. The little light that came with the saw, I have on the left side, and an additional swing arm lamp on the right.
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Dean A

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 12:06:23 pm »
pete,

Where did you get that swing arm lamp? Looks heavy duty. Very nice idea on how you have it set up with the added beam behind the saw. I could easily do this with my bench.

I checked online for swing arm mag lights and they seem pretty pricey. I know the old saying, you get what you pay for, but what is a fair price for a decent product?

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 11:01:58 am »
My Rockler light is attached to the arm of my EX21 with the magnet and I have no problem with vibration, I like it.
 author=Dean A link=topic=11577.msg108755#msg108755 date=1352564983]
hate to bump this, but I do have a question with the Rockler light. If its mounted to the machine (scroll saw) does it vibrate? It seems to me it would shake a bit. I really need something cause my eyes are not the same. I guess all those people that said after 40 your gonna need glasses were right.

Anyways, I'm going to Rockler tomorrow to take some dust collection parts back and thought while I was there I would pick the lamp up. It's on sale
[/quote]
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

SMF

Teknoromi