Author Topic: New saw  (Read 1893 times)

chippygeoff

New saw
« on: August 01, 2012, 02:58:42 pm »
My Dewalt mark 1 788 is dying, its probably dead as I write this. I was in the shop earlier and the speed seemed excessive but when I started to feed some 3/4 hardwood the speed would come right down. I have no idea what could be causing this. I have probably had the saw close to 20 years. I love it and it has never let my down before but I feel its life has come to an end so I ordered a new Hegner today with some accessories. The blade changing will be a little slower than the Dewalt but the Hegner is a very fine saw but if possible I would like to keep the Dewalt as a spare so any advice on the problem would be much appreciated. Here in the Uk there are no Dewalt scroll saws any more so any parts will have to shipped over the pond.

Mainewoods

Re: New saw
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 03:27:42 pm »
Can't offer any help Geoff, but I hope you get it worked out!  I would try blowing any dust out of the switch/speed knob housing and see if it helps.  I believe the speed controller is separate from the circuit board on these things, but I don't know if a replacement will be possible.  Keep us posted on what you find!

rob roy

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 05:21:49 pm »
Could be a winding in the motor stator Geoff ??
Rob Roy.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 05:35:15 pm by rob roy »

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 11:49:17 pm »
Have checked the bushings on the motor.  Maybe they need to be replaced.  You can do that youself.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

SMF

Teknoromi